Quiz: who is not in the Lords

There are certain office holders who, on completion of office, are usually offered peerages.   However, with one or two exceptions, such as former Prime Ministers, the offer is not guaranteed.   Most former Cabinet ministers are usually offered peerages, but not all have been, or not all have accepted.   There are several recent examples of former Cabinet ministers blotting their copy books and not being offered seats in the Lords.  However, there are case where ministers have held senior office, not tainted by scandal and who would have been expected to join the Lords, but have not been offered, or have not accepted, peerages.   As usual, the first two readers to supply the correct answers will be the winners.

1.  I was a Labour MP who served in the Cabinet of James Callaghan and was tipped as a future Chancellor of the Exchequer, but I never became a peer.  I left the Commons to take up a business post and later joined the SDP.   Who was I?

2.  We both served as Employment Secretaries in the 1974-79 Labour Government, but neither of us went to the Lords after we left the Commons, one after being defeated in 1983 and the other after retiring.  Who were we?

3. I too served in the Labour Cabinet of 1974-79, but had a track record of not wanting to join the Lords.  Who am I?

4. I am the only surviving member of Margaret Thatcher’s Cabinet, other than John Major, who does not sit in either House of Parliament.  Who am I?

22 comments for “Quiz: who is not in the Lords

1. Dave H
    22/09/2012 at 11:36 am

1. Edmund Dell
    2. Michael Foot (ret) and Albert Booth (def)
    3. Tony Benn
    4. John Nott

2. Jason Lower
    22/09/2012 at 11:38 am

1 – Edmund Dell
    2 – Michael Foot (retired) and Albert Booth (defeated)
    3 – Tony Benn
    4 – John Nott

3. Maggie Sinclair
    22/09/2012 at 2:28 pm

1. Edmund Dell
    2. Albert Booth and Michael Foot
    3. Tony Benn
    4. John Nott

4. MilesJSD
    22/09/2012 at 3:35 pm

This quiz-post shows-up how establishmentarian,
    and closed-politically oligarchic,
    Britain’s whole Governance, Human-Development, and Lifesupports-Budgeting
    Classes still blindly are.

What every level of The People need to know is
    “how can I make my essential needs known and tabled today, this year, this Parliameny;

and upon whom and what-evenues/public-esites/TV and Radio programmes can I rely to verbatim-faithfully advocate for me-and-my-needs, in Parliament and throughout the democratic and legislation process ?”

rather than “who used to do it and how do/did they continue to (faithfully) advocate and legislate my needs after they were “en-clubbed” in the Lords, or Elsewhere-Not-In-The-Lords ?”
    ———–
    You’re a terrific professor, Lord Norton;

(but this topic makes the Lords look much more like a Halfway-Retirement-Club for the
    “no-longer-quite-100%-fit-for-purpose”,

than a House of Current Experts, Fit-For-Purpose for Advocating and for Legislating every Citizen’s Needs & Affordable Hows).
    —————
    “Being titled ‘Leader’
    (Peer, Elected Representative, Advocate)
    Will Never Make You One”.

[Chapter title in an old and repressed Governance & Citizenship Handbook).

5. JH

2. Albert Booth and Michael Foot

3. Tony Benn

4. John Nott

7. David Doig
    22/09/2012 at 9:13 pm

1. Edmund Dell.

2. Michael Foot and Albert Booth.

3. Tony Benn.

4. David Mellor.

8. 22/09/2012 at 10:26 pm

One day I will figure out when this quiz is held. It may be that the House is sitting and I thought it was not or else that has nothing to do with when the quiz is held…

• Dave H
      27/09/2012 at 6:14 pm

The quiz is posted at random times but normally on a Saturday, it’s just pot luck if you’re around when it goes up (except you’re probably still asleep in the US).

I have the blog on an RSS feed so if I’m around, I notice new posts fairly quickly.

Note for those answering #4 with David Mellor – he was in John Major’s cabinet, not Margaret Thatcher’s. He was my first guess, too.

• 28/09/2012 at 3:02 pm

Dave H.,
        I think that you are perhaps a bit more lattitudinous than the official parameters. However, this is certainly very close to how it seems…

• Rich
        29/09/2012 at 4:02 am

Indeed, Mellor was Arts Minister under Thatcher, but it was not a Cabinet post. Lord Gowrie though did hold the post in Cabinet, he is still alive, and is not a member of either House. So I think I should get some sort of honourable mention (if that phrase exists in the UK) for coming up with an answer that fit the question (“who *does* not sit in either House of Parliament”) even though he is a hereditary peer, rather than an MP, who left his House.

01/10/2012 at 5:49 pm

Dave H: You summarise the position well. The frequency between quizzes may also be affected by work commitments – we had a University Open Day on Saturday for example -and whether I am in the country. Other than that, it is possible to predict when the quiz is coming with laser-like accuracy. Oh yes.

9. Nigel Fletcher
    22/09/2012 at 10:53 pm

1) Edmund Dell (who wrote a book on Chancellors, I recall)
    2) Michael Foot and Albert Booth (I confess I had to look up the latter)
    3) The former Viscount Stansgate, Tony Benn.
    4) Sir John Nott.

10. Rich
    23/09/2012 at 8:56 am

1) Edmund Dell
    2) Michael Foot and Albert Booth
    3) Tony Benn
    4) The Earl of Gowrie

11. Johnns
    23/09/2012 at 9:29 am

1) Edmund Emanuel Dell
    2) Michael Mackintosh Foot, Albert Edward Booth
    3) The whole Labour government was against Lords.
    4) Sir John William Frederic Nott

12. lawrencevanrijn
    24/09/2012 at 2:00 am

Your lordship,

I have come to the following answers:
    1. Edward Lyons
    2. Michael Foot & Albert Booth
    3. Dennis Skinner
    4. Baron Michael Heseltine.

This week was a nice challenge for me.

13. Twm O'r Nant
    24/09/2012 at 8:18 am

Most former Cabinet ministers are usually offered peerages, but not all have been, or not all have accepted

Noble lord Norton’s cackle about peers takes some beating. It is very difficult NOT to walk up the peers’ corridor and accept a pressing nomination from one’s party’s peers. Those who don’t have uni-cameral principles, far more on the left than on the right who do not, for obvious reasons.

14. Twm O'r Nant
    24/09/2012 at 10:58 am

An interesting quiz none the less.
    I was just looking the other day the number of Labour MPs who have not done peer from 1997 retirement onwards,and there are quite a few.
    I am not going to be tested to say whom though since their own privacy may well be one of main the causes of their non membership of a second chamber.

I’m quite sure N.LN would not be interested in them, or a quiz about them.

The idea of “elevation” to a second chamber
    is surely a contradiction put out by the pseudo elitism of the times newspaper.

It should be a “descent”! Ha! Ha! Ha! He has been “taken down” to the second chamber!

15. newmarduk
    26/09/2012 at 5:22 pm

It looks like Lord Norton has a little habit of asking questions to readers of this Web site (lordsoftheblog.net). It’s a bit ironic, but I’m not a Brit. I was born and raised in the United States. I’m a bit of an amateur regarding knowledge of the British/UK political system.

16. MilesJSD
    29/09/2012 at 5:19 am

[I must up-front declare a non-interest in this Quiz;
    qua also a ‘non-knowledge’ of the answers:
    signed JSD Miles 0513St290912].

But – kindly again let me butt-in,

Mills’s ‘necessary’ vel ‘sufficient’ factors (qua ’causes’) is both apposite and scrutiny-essential
    not simply for the Lords-of-the-Blog esite overall*
    but for any Participatory-Democracy Intended Quiz in particular.

In the absence of both any other Participatorily-Democratic-E-Site (UK) and
    of a Currently-Strategic & Tactical Issues Educational quiz or ‘voluntary-test-paper’ for all levels of UK ‘popular’ democratic participation,

I have to judge that this lone Norton-Quiz is
    neither Necessary nor Sufficient.
    ————-
    (Sorry lone-westminster-clubites;
    Sorry uncle sams hanging-on supporters too).
    ———-
    * The Lords-of-the-Blog e-site is nevertheless an unique social-sort-of-step- forward, towards p-democracy;
    and so would be this micro-minority Norton-Quiz element, too).

I give over –

01/10/2012 at 5:46 pm

I was very impressed by the number of entries for the quiz. I thought it was quite challenging. In my experience, there is a tendency to overlook Albert Booth and, for that matter, Sir John Nott.

Congratulations to Dave H and Jason Lower, who got in first with the correct answers, ahead of Maggie Sinclair. Commendations to the others who got the correct answers and a special commendation for Rich, who is quite correct in that Lord Gowrie did serve in the Cabinet under Margaret Thatcher and is now an excluded peer. The question should more correctly have read ‘I am the only MP who sat in Margaret Thatcher’s Cabinet, other than John Major, who is not in either House of Parliament’.

There were some other interesting responses. As Rich has already noted, David Mellor did not serve in the Cabinet during Mrs T’s premiership; he was advanced to Cabinet under John Major. Edward Lyons never served in Cabinet; nor did Denis Skinner! Referring to ‘Baron Michael Heseltine’ rather gives away why it is not a correct answer to the fourth question. Johnns perhaps deserves a commendation for his inclusive answer to the third question.

17. A.P. Schrader
    14/11/2012 at 7:29 pm

Just on a point of interest, it’s worth noting that very few members of the last ministry have made it to the Lords. Only four former members of the Brown Ministry have been made peers (I am excluding those, like Baroness Scotland of Asthal, who were already peers or those, like Lord Mandelson, were made peers upon taking office) – Lord (Des) Browne of Ladyton, Lord (John) Hutton of Furness, Lord (Jim) Knight of Weymouth and Baroness (Beverley) Hughes of Stretford.

The vast majority are still in the Commons but there are five former ministers who have left the Commons and now sit in neither House – Jacqui Smith, James Purnell, Ruth Kelly, Geoff Hoon and Tony McNulty. Have they ‘blotted their copy book’?