The weekly quiz – chairing committees

peer1peer2peer3Over the years, the House of Lords has become more specialised through the use of committees.  It now utilises a number of sessional (in effect, permanent) investigative select committees.   The members, including the chairs, are appointed by the House.  The three peers who are pictured each chair a select committee.   This week’s quiz is to identify the peers pictured and the committees which they chair.  As usual, the first two readers to supply the correct answers will be the winners.

10 comments for “The weekly quiz – chairing committees

1. Emmy
    30/10/2010 at 11:02 am

1. Lord Roper – EU Select Committee
    2. Lord MacGregor of Pulham Market – Economic Affairs Committee
    3. Baroness Jay of Paddington – Constitution Committee

2. 30/10/2010 at 1:35 pm

1. Lord Roper, EU Committee (as Principal Deputy Chairman of Committees)

2. Lord MacGregor of Pulham Market, Economic Affairs Committee

3. Baroness Jay of Paddington, Constitution Committee

Lord Norton, the image numbers still provide a clue to the answers! I recommend renaming them peer1.jpg etc. in future weeks!

An oddity I found today when searching for answers is that the Parliament website today seems to have the URL
    What is the meaning of that, I wonder?

3. Dave H
    30/10/2010 at 1:57 pm

A bit late today because I was out this morning…

Lord Roper, EU Select Committee

Lord MacGregor of Pulham Market, Economic Affairs

Baroness Jay of Paddington, Constitution Committee

4. Carl.H
    30/10/2010 at 6:29 pm

My noble Lord, when you insert the pictures change/shorten the link of the picture to something else like http://lordsoftheblog.net/

else we can still see:

Which rather gives it away in the sense the parliament picture number appears.

5. Chris K
    31/10/2010 at 1:40 pm

The third picture is easy because you pointed her out to me last year during tea. Baroness Jay of Paddington chairs the Constitution(al reform?) committee.

The other two are a bit trickier.

6. Lord Norton
    31/10/2010 at 2:22 pm

Congratulations to Emmy and Jonathan, who supplied the correct answers just ahead of Dave H. They are indeed Lord Roper (EU Committee), Lord MacGregor of Pulham Market (Economic Affairs) and Baroness Jay of Paddington (Constitution Committee).

Jonathan and Carl.H: I see the problem! It will be avoided in the future (I hope).

Chris K: Clearly an incentive to be a grand prize-winner again; there may be a different set of peers at tea. It is indeed the Constitution Committee. When it was created, I suggested it would be better to be titled as such, since if it was called the Constitutional Committee some may think the other committees were unconstitutional!

7. Dave H
    31/10/2010 at 3:04 pm

What’s the qualifying criteria for a grand prize again? If you count last year’s wins, I’m up to either four or five now.

8. Lord Norton
    01/11/2010 at 11:55 am

Dave H: Yes, last year’s wins count. Both you and Emmy are grand prize winners. You will both be hearing from me shortly.

9. Lord Norton
    01/11/2010 at 7:43 pm

Dave H: E-mails to your e-mail address keep bouncing back. Could you e-mail me directly?

10. 03/11/2010 at 10:37 am

Just changing the link won’t be sufficient either as the image filename will still contain the number. Lord Norton needs to rename the images completely before uploading them. Then links to the image won’t matter.