Blogging ahead

019Merry Christmas.   I know it is a time for rest, but for me the Christmas vacation is a time for catching up on work.  It is also an occasion when I have more time to think about topics I wish to write about on the blog.  The result is that you may see several posts from me over the next few days.   One could look upon them as the equivalent of Christmas presents, though I appreciate they may be treated as the blogging version of carpet slippers or aftershave.

This last point does lead to a serious observation.  The blog is designed to be interactive.  Readers are very good at posting comments and we do our best to respond.  However, we write about things that interest us and topics we think will interest you.  We may not always get it right and we may not be commenting on issues you think are relevant and on which you would like to have our views.   Given that, please feel free to respond to this post with topics you would like us to address in 2009.  I cannot guarantee we will be able to cover all of them but it will be interesting to see what concerns you.   I will be particularly interested in subjects not already covered in posts and comments.

Thanks especially to all those who have commented during the first nine months of Lords of the Blog. I think we are now getting into our stride.   Do keep the comments coming.

11 comments for “Blogging ahead

1. ladytizzy
    24/12/2008 at 6:22 pm

Merry Christmas, Professor Lord Norton of Louth 🙂

I’ll start my list while I’m making dinner tonight – just be glad it’s cauliflower cheese and not a five-courser.

Oh, and tomorrow is a busy working day for us as well as the approx. one million others keeping the country going. A toast to you and all those for whom 25 December isn’t all about over-eating all day.

24/12/2008 at 7:24 pm

ladytizzy: Merry Christmas to you. If you have yet not received it, you should shortly be receiving something in the mail! In my previous post, I mentioned those on their own on Christmas. I did think of mentioning all those who do have to work on Christmas day. I am not surprised the figure is one-million. We should also remember those who cannot work because they have no jobs to go to. Being made redundant must be dreadful at any time, but just before Christmas – as has happened with many workers, not least in Hull – must be especially horrible. Those of us with jobs to go to – whether we work over Christmas or not – have reason to be grateful.

I look forward to reading your list…

3. 24/12/2008 at 10:19 pm

The time of celebrating christmas.

4. ladytizzy
    25/12/2008 at 12:45 am

A seasonal poser, to mull over breakfast:

As with millions of others Chez Tizzy received a postcard from the Royal Mail/Post Office, asking us to pay £1.13 for the privilege of receiving what we presume to be a Christmas card. That’s 13p underpaid from the sender, plus a £1 administration fee.

I understand there have to be rules but, given the sender is legally responsible for ensuring mail gets to the recipient, why is the recipient expected to pay? And how much did it cost to send us the postcard? This doesn’t make business sense.

Of course I’m not going to make a costly trip to the collection centre to pay an exhorbitant charge to pick up an item which has not been sent to me legally. I wonder what hidden liabilities I would be exposed to if I did.

Have they thought about making it compulsory for all mail to have a sender’s address before processing?

Further, can you clarify the special limited liabilities of the Royal Mail Group, insofar that the government is the major shareholder as opposed to a commercial holder? What exactly does that mean, and does similar apply to other institutions in which the gvt (aka Hanson) have acquired major or majority holdings?

More stuff in the next day or two but I should add that your missive arrived perfectly.

5. Matt
    25/12/2008 at 5:53 am

Have you considered putting up a google moderator page and soliciting questions that way? The obama campaign did something similar. For example:

26/12/2008 at 11:36 am

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Recruit Hospital Executives: I have previously blogged about the timing of Easter. What did you have in mind regarding Christmas? Ladytizzy: I am in receipt of one of those cards, so I share some of your feelings. I take your point about return addresses, since there is a case for returning the letters to the sender to make up the remaining sum. I will need to check on the status of the Royal Mail Group. Matt: Many thanks for that suggestion. I have had a look at the Obama campaign page. It is a good way to see what questions people would like answering. I will pursue the idea and see what we can do.

7. Patchouli
    26/12/2008 at 10:12 pm

Thank you for your response – Christmas meanies. Next:

The advance of the Cybermen is a recurring stortyline in Doctor Who. Who will step up to stop HIP’s?

“You will be determined.”

Yes, there is an EU directive due next year to provide Energy Performance Certificates but what is the point of a HIP? Now the gvt want us to provide a HIP if we are thinking about selling out house. Who do they have in mind?

Is this a cunning plan to stop the people seeing ‘For Sale’ signs?

I am the proud receipient of a G graded EPC, due mainly to my 15 inch thick stone walls that are nigh on impossible to insulate. Does the Palace of Westminster have one, or are HIPs only for poor people who have to sell rather than inherit?

8. ladytizzy
    26/12/2008 at 10:16 pm

Yikes, the above was an old userid, sorry!

9. 27/12/2008 at 4:37 pm

This is one of those posts where I think: ‘Great, I’ve got lots of ideas for that!’ Then when it comes to writing a reply, nothing comes to mind. Until now anyway.

How about a discussion on Internet censorship, this article from the Culture Secretary makes the topic timely.

10. ladytizzy
    28/12/2008 at 6:15 pm

Indeed, Liam.

A little chaotic here, Lord Norton, thus I will be replying to your missive which will include a few ideas – now Woolie’s has gone think of it as a pick and mix.

02/01/2009 at 7:37 pm

Thanks for the further comments and suggestions. Patchouli: I take your point about HIPs. The problems associated with them has variously been discussed in the Lords. Many of us view them as part of the problem rather than part of the solution in respect of house sales. Liam: Thanks for the suggestion. The issue is indeed topical and relates to other issues of freedom which have variously been raised in posts. On your first observation, I wonder if we should take some comfort from that? Perhaps we are covering topics that do relate to the interests of readers. Ladytizzy: I shall look forward to your further suggestions.