More quiz questions… who are we?

476062

Should you be running out of questions for festive family quizzes, here are a couple in the format suggested by hifranc.  Who are the two peers?

Peer 1:

My father sat as an MP for Hull between the wars.

I am the longest-serving peer of my party in the House of Lords.

Who am I?

Peer 2:

I was the youngest peer when I first entered the House of Lords.

I campaigned especially on war widows’ pensions.

My father and grandfather were senior military figures.

Who am I?

9 comments for “More quiz questions… who are we?

1. howridiculous
    26/12/2008 at 11:45 am

Dear Lord Norton,

Peer One is Lord Strabolgi.

Peer Two is Lord Freyberg.

Howridiculous.

2. 26/12/2008 at 2:21 pm

From the TV programme the other week, I guess the first is Lord Strabolgi. And could the second be Earl Kitchener?

3. James
    26/12/2008 at 2:50 pm

1) David Kenworthy?
    2) Valerian Freyberg?

26/12/2008 at 3:50 pm

A number of you have already replied – not all with the correct answers! I thought it appropriate to delay approving them in order to give others an opportunity to contribute.

Both peers, incidentally, are current members of the House.

5. Michael
    26/12/2008 at 8:10 pm

Would Peer 1 be Lord Strabolgi and Peer 2 Lord Freyberg?

26/12/2008 at 10:05 pm

Congratulations to howridiculous who was the first to contribute the correct answer. Lord Strabolgi succeeded his father in 1953. Lord Freyberg (b. 1970) succeeded his father in 1993. Both sit as elected hereditary peers.

7. James
    26/12/2008 at 11:36 pm

Oh Good. Wikipedia is a wonderful invention!

8. 27/12/2008 at 11:07 pm

If Wikipedia is allowed, I might have answered correctly! I should also have guessed you meant current members of the House.

Having said that, I doubt I can answer today’s new question, even with the help of Wikipedia!

Anyway, Lord Norton, I just wanted to wish you a belated Happy Christmas and all the best for the new year – I’ll be looking forward to your posts and quizzes in 2009!

28/12/2008 at 11:12 am

Jonathan: I should perhaps have mentioned that I planned to use diffferent formulations for current (‘Who am I?’) and past members of the House.

Merry Christmas. For the New Year I have thought of a question that should be Google and Wikipedia-proof!