Quiz: the Lords and the law

The Constitutional Reform Act 2005 excluded peers who were members of the Supreme Court from membership of the House for the period they held judicial office.  It also excluded peers who held other high judicial office.  Upon retirement, they resume their membership.  This quiz covers peers who have held judicial office.  As usual, the first person to provide the correct answers will win a copy of one of my recent publications.

1. Name one of the former Lord Chief Justices presently in the House who has not served on the Supreme Court.

2.  I have served as Solicitor General for Scotland and Lord Advocate and was excluded from the House from 2009 to 2013 while serving as a Senator of the College of Justice in Scotland.  Who am I?

3.  I too have served as Lord Advocate and was excluded from the House from 2009 to 2013 as a result of being a Senator of the College of Justice in Scotland.  Who am I?

4. I am the only former Lord Chief Justice to have served on the House of Lords Constitution Committee.  Who am I?

5.  I am a former Lord Chief Justice and I served on the Joint Committee on the Voter Eligibility (Prisoners) Bill.  Who am I?

6 comments for “Quiz: the Lords and the law

1. 11/07/2014 at 10:18 pm

1. Lord Woolf
    2. Lord Mackay of Drumadoon
    3. Lord Hardie
    4. Lord Woolf
    5. Lord Phillips of Worth Matravers

2. MilesJSD
    12/07/2014 at 9:49 am

Your quizzes are always interesting; Lord Norton;

nevertheless some of us ‘ordinary folk’ have to struggle along
    ‘in the dark’
    as to what each of your quiz subjects actually ‘achieved’ –
    and in particular why and for whose benefit ?

3. Ulysses
    12/07/2014 at 10:15 am

1. Lord Judge

2. Lord Mackay of Drumadoon

3. Lord Hardie

4. Lord Woolf

5. Lord Phillips of Worth Matravers

4. 12/07/2014 at 4:17 pm

Just signing in as a regular beaten by default. In part to see where in time my comment lands. I was distracted by events.

I will read the correct entries with interest and compare them to such as I am able to slap together.

5. JH
    12/07/2014 at 7:12 pm

1. Lord Woolf (I think the others have served as either additional justices or as the PSC unless I’ve forgotten one).

2. Sounds like Lord Hardie.

3. Lord Mackay of Drumadoon?

4. Lord Woolf

5. Lord Phillips of Worth Matravers

6. Lord Norton
    12/07/2014 at 8:24 pm

Jonathan got in well ahead of Ulysses and JH. One could have either Lord Woolf or Lord Judge as the answer to Q1. (The original posting was meant to ask which former LCJ had been on the court, but a superflous ‘not’ got inserted!) The answer to Q2 is Lord Mackay of Drumadoon (though one person on Twitter thought it was Lord Mackay of Drumagoon!) Lord Hardie, who didn’t serve as Solicitor General for Scotland, is the answer to Q3. Q4 is Lord Woolf and Q5 Lord Phillips of Worth Matravers. Jonathan is thus the winner, with Ulysses as runner-up. A book will be on the way to Jonathan.