A thought for the coming Easter – this is what I believe

Lord Hylton

God is love.  He is invisible but transcendant; that is, in glorious perfection. He is also immanent , that is , totally present in the universe which He created.

God so loved the world, his creation and his human creatures, that he sent His only-beloved Son to live and die as man, for all humanity.  We are therefore saved from sin and death.  We are free to accept or reject salvation.  The Good News is that we have been made free.

God’s Holy Spirit is everywhere, loving, sustaining and inspiring, both believers and all others.  It guides God’s providential plan, which we are free to choose or to refuse.

Jesus, known as the Christ, the Messiah specifically anointed by the Father, lived, died and rose again at a particular moment in time.  After his resurrection the Holy Spirit was given to the first Christians, both individually and collectively.  This Spirit still guides the Churches, keeping them in the truth and enabling them to be sign-posts to God’s coming Kingdom.  The Churches and the great faiths, that stem from Abraham, should converge under the guidance of the spirit.

Together they have to care for the poor, and the vulnerable of the world.  Love God and love your neighbour are the two great commandments.

Faith is God’s gift.  It is a joy to proclaim and bear witness to it.  This faith is what guides my public and parliamentary life.

8 comments for “A thought for the coming Easter – this is what I believe

1. Honoris Causa
    08/04/2014 at 6:50 pm

Love God and love your neighbour are the two great commandments.
    Faith is God’s gift. It is a joy to proclaim and bear witness to it. This faith is what guides my public and parliamentary life.

I often wonder how many there are in parliament who are NOT motivated by faith of one sort or another. Probably not that many. It may be that those who concern themselves exclusively with state enterprise do not take God in to account while doing so.

It may be easier for those who concern themselves with state enterprise but who are not personally involved with any part of it, say, education or health services, to have a faith in God which is also not a part of it.

“I’m a Christian, but that is for them and this is for me, better,
    and not a part of it. I dont mind helping to organise it but I dont want the services provided by it!”

Not doing ‘Good’ but doing “God” for everybody else, but not for oneself. One therefore presumably has a private God who does not even extend as far as the second commandment above.

2. MilesJSD
    10/04/2014 at 2:38 pm

I recognise the human-generic need,
    to be constantly self-and-socially vigilant for
    “Sins of Omission and Sins of Commission”;

But “we” are still at potentially warring-odds with each other, both inside religion/faith and “outside” of such.

Lord Hylton, surely “God” as The Divine Creator/Redeemer’Comforter is more tyruthfully and accurately described as the “Divine It”
    not “The Almighty To-Be-Magnified Transcendent ‘He'” ?

There are great inconsistencies, enthymemes, and questions-beggings, interlaced in the dogma behind such “He Faiths”.
    ————-
    Honoris Causa,
    Since the British Democracy Member of Parliament has
    (‘) no duty to respond to or even acknowledge any communication from a constituent(‘)
    and is de facto constitutionally-habituated to promote only their own self-cum-party-interested legislations often regardless of the Needs of many of their supportive constituents,
    how can such politicians/people claim to have any “Faith” ?

and [second barrel]
    under such “Christian Sway”
    how can any-one
    as-best-they-can-maintaining the health
    of all of their innate directly-God-given essential human energies,
    [spiritually-sacred, as well as physiologically,emotionally, mindfunctionally, environmentally-orientably …]

known as the sevenfold sacramental, chakraic, and/or somatopsychic vital energies: [Grounding/Root/Baptismal, as the first thereof]

be “accused” of having a “private God” ?

The Society of Friends {“Quakers”} were asked
    “What is the difference between being Religious and being Spiritual”
    and answered
    (‘)being religious is obeying the Dogma [pre-existing commandments] written by people-organising themselves into-a-‘religion’ or ‘religious-faith/group’;

whereas being Spiritual is maintaining or helping-God-to-maintain one’s individual ‘link’ directly with God (‘).
    =============
    So, my “Faith” comes now primarily from such published guidances as
    “The Body of Life” by Thomas Hanna;
    and includes singing previously-learned “hymns”, but not “Hims” !

3. 10/04/2014 at 7:47 pm

Lord Hylton,
    I appreciated your Christian testimony. More people attend church (even more with other houses of worship but enough with Christian churches) in the United States than attend all sporting events at which admission is recorded during a year.

The role of faith and Christianity in popular culture is evident in our films as well.

As for what I believe:
    I believe in one God, the Father almighty,
    maker of heaven and earth,
    of all things visible and invisible.
    I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
    the Only Begotten Son of God,
    born of the Father before all ages.
    God from God, Light from Light,
    true God from true God,
    begotten, not made, consubstantial
    with the Father;
    Through him all things were made.
    For us men and for our salvation
    he came down from heaven,
    and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate
    of the Virgin Mary,
    and became man.

For our sake he was crucified
    under Pontius Pilate,
    he suffered death and was buried,
    and rose again on the third day
    in accordance with the Scriptures.
    He ascended into heaven
    and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
    He will come again in glory
    to judge the living and the dead
    and his kingdom will have no end.
    I believe in the Holy Spirit,
    the Lord, the giver of life,
    who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
    who with the Father and the Son
    is adored and glorified,
    who has spoken through the prophets.
    I believe in one, holy, catholic,
    and apostolic Church.
    I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins
    and I look forward to the resurrection
    of the dead and the life of the world to come.
    Amen.

Lord Hylton
      14/04/2014 at 10:21 am

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I tried to give my creed in terms more acceptable to all, because less strictly theological. The Nicene Creed remains extremely important. The odd thing about it, is the gap between the Birth and Death of Our Lord Jesus.

• 15/04/2014 at 1:31 am

Lord Hylton,

I appreciated your effort. In fact I am a commissioned evangelist in my church and evangelization is often the Pauline effort to be all things to all people to win a few. Your words are fine but you do raise an interesting point. Prior to the invasions by pagan and barely Arian Goths, Muslims and Vikings there were local and regional symbols and traditions to express the ministry and humanity of Jesus in a way accessible to all of a given culture or set of cultures. These declined in favor of the universal themes of the incarnation and Paschal mystery.

However, recent generations in only the last three centuries have made some effot to address this. The Rosary may be outside of your own comfort zone but Pope John Paul II added the Luminous Mysteries because the other 15 were all about incarnation, infancy and the Paschal events. This was not without controversy because the original 150 aves symbolized the 150 psalms monks recited before the hours were systematized to include more than reciting just the psalms and leading up to separate forms of prayer. But the need to emphasize the rest of what Christ did justified muddying this symbol.

You need no justification from me but I thought your words rather nice.

Lord Hylton
          15/04/2014 at 11:10 am

Many thanks for your comments, and Easter joy. Do you know about the Amerdown Centre, near Bath? – http://www.ammerdown.org ?

• 15/04/2014 at 2:22 pm

Lord Hylton,
            I am glad to have bookmarked the center on my browser. I had not heard of it.

4. maude elwes
    12/04/2014 at 1:44 pm

What a very interesting thread this would be if we had the ability on this blog to truly explore mans deepest instinct, which alone, tells us there is something other than us.What that something other is can be debated forever, as it constantly is.

I call what I feel is creator, ‘the universal mind.’ And I believe this ‘universal mind’ formed our environment through cosmic thought. I also feel it is neither good or bad, it just is. What mankind calls good or bad depends on where they come from and their life experience. Meaning, if it suits their species it is named good, if what is happening is felt not to be in the interests of their species, then it is named bad. Naturally culture and expectation is a big former of those views.

From my daily experiences I’ve observed the all consuming aspect of animal life is emotion, on all levels, and the survival of the body used to satisfy that aspect of the inner self, unless that emotion can no longer take the pain it often struggles with.

This is a link to a very good debate on what is the ‘other’ we question eternally. Dr Ross says, more or less, what I feel.

I do not find the biblical book of Genesis jars with the scientific evolution claims, as for me, it goes along with the big bang theory and describes the universe as an event not always in existence. It also, in a round about way, goes along with the theory of evolution. It simply has no time frame as we know it. It does proffer knowledge of a ‘universal mind’ not an absence of it.

I also believe that this ‘universal mind’ sits on the fence and watches how this creation unfolds. The word God conjures up the notion of religions and their expectations, which I do not always agree with, but do use much of it as a guide to what feels good and what feels bad. I was born into a Christian environment. I would not have chosen any other had I been asked, either at the time of my birth, or now.