Quiz – female parliamentarians

The number of women in the House of Lords has increased in recent years, not least on the cross-benches as a result of nominations by the Independent Appointments Commission.  However, the political parties have also nominated women peers, some of them drawn from the ranks of those who have distinguished themselves in the House of Commons.   This quiz focuses on women peers who have also served with distinction in the House of Commons.  As usual, the first two readers to supply the correct answers will be the winners.

1. I am a Conservative Baroness and have served as a Deputy Speaker in the House of Commons.  Who am I?

2. I am a Labour Baroness and have been Chair of the Parliamentary Labour Party (PLP),  Who am I?

3. I am a Conservative Baroness and was the first woman to serve as a Vice-Chairman of the 1922 Committee.  Who am I?

4. I am a Liberal Democrat Baroness who has served as Education Secretary. Who am I?

9 comments for “Quiz – female parliamentarians

1. MilesJSD
    23/03/2013 at 1:03 pm

If only we knew what good they each have done for the British People and (thereby) for The World

if only we could gauge both how much life-improvement and how much life-privation each of these ‘to-be-identified’ noble-public servants has been responsible for (or irresponsible with);

then the wizened and heavily-lipsticked contestee in your picture might be easier to put a loved name to, Lord Norton.

2. Alex M

1. Janet Evelyn Fookes, Baroness Fookes

2. Jean Ann Corston, Baroness Corston

3. Has me stumped!

4. Shirley Williams, Baroness Williams of Crosby

6. Rich
    27/03/2013 at 1:09 am

Since Lord Norton has yet to answer, I can only think that the problem is either that only one of us got the titles correct and he has chosen to be a stickler, or that while Baroness Knight of Collingtree certainly was a vice-chair of the 1922 (http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Paw1AAAAIBAJ&sjid=D6YLAAAAIBAJ&pg=2647,557923&dq=jill+knight+1922&hl=en http://www.independent.co.uk/news/tories-vote-on-1922-leadership-1262628.html), she must not have been the first. I can only find five women who currently sit on the Conservative benches who were MPs before 1987 (when Baroness Knight became vice-chair): Baronesses Thatcher, Fookes, Oppenheim-Barnes, Chalker of Wallasey, and Bottomley of Nettlestone.

Lady Bottomley is unlikely because she served only three years before the 1987 cut-off. Likewise, Lady Chalker was only a back bencher from 1974 to 1976 (I presume shadow ministers would have been precluded from the 1922 Committee’s executive). Lady Thatcher was in Parliament only two years before joining the ministry, and seems to have served continuously on the Conservative front bench for the next 29 years.

Lady Oppenheim-Barnes, as best I can tell, only served on the front benches for three years out of 18. Lady Fookes spent 22 years on the back benches before becoming Deputy Speaker in 1992, so all of her time before Lady Knight became vice-chair she was eligible.

Sadly, I can’t find anything on any of the five to suggest anyone other than Baroness Knight was the first.

7. Lord Norton
    27/03/2013 at 10:31 pm

Rich: It’s more mundane. I was so busy with work in the Lords that I have only now had an opportunity to respond.

The answers are indeed: Baroness Fookes, Baroness Cortson, Baroness Knight, and Baroness Williams of Crosby. I could have asked a fifth question: with which of these four do I share an office?

Congratulations to Alex M and Rich who got in first with the correct answers and are therefore the winners.

• Alex M
      28/03/2013 at 8:33 pm

5. If I remember correctly, you share an office with (or at least did) Baroness Knight and Baroness Fookes?

8. Tory boy
    30/03/2013 at 2:12 pm

Answer to question 5 Baroness Knight of Collingtree.