The baroness on form…

Baroness Trumpington

The formidable Baroness Trumpington has, I know, a fan base among our readers.  They may therefore enjoy reading the interview with here here, published in today’s Daily Telegraph.  She is clearly on form, recounting her days as a wartime land girl and code-breaker at Bletchley Park, as well as her more recent encounter with Lord King, when her two-fingered gesture went viral on YouTube.

A typical extract from the article:

‘She has always played to the gallery, but not at the expense of a proper seriousness about the issues in hand. She relished being called a “fat old scrubber” by her critics for suggesting with typical practicality that sheep should be used to detonate Falklands minefields. “My point,” she said at the time, “was that you can put a sheep out of its misery and eat it. You can’t do that to a man.”’

7 comments for “The baroness on form…

1. Gareth Howell
    14/08/2012 at 5:30 pm

Fan base of 1…. Lord Norton, who thinks that the term Noblesse oblige applies to a “fat old scrubber”.

2. tory boy
    14/08/2012 at 9:22 pm

Good to know that my favourite Peer is on tip top form. How do i get an invite to her party?

3. maude elwes
    15/08/2012 at 11:37 am

@Lord Norton:

It is a disgrace that you would add such a horrible sexist form of name calling to your thread in this blog. I am stunned that you, who is ususally such a gentleman in every way, would stoop to this level. How could you?

The elderly lady deserves an apology at once, and certainly should not have to bear such infantile humour at her expense.

• Tory Boy
      16/08/2012 at 1:27 pm

The article is published in a national paper The Daily Telegraph. To understand the humour of Baroness Trumpington read the full article, and you will found out that Lord Norton is not insulting the great lady!

4. Twm O'r Nant
    16/08/2012 at 2:02 pm

Deadpan Maude!

• maude elwes
      17/08/2012 at 6:54 am

@Twm:

Regardless, what the Lady may have written or encouraged, is not the issue.

It reduces the Lord Norton by his acknowledgement of same. Because he is above such remarks. He is filled with a certain chivalry and this would not be of his vocabulary.

And I am the first to admit that I often do not adhere to this principle. But, I am not a Lord and no one expects me ever to be so.

Being a Lord or female equivalent concedes or implies specialness.

5. Twm O'r Nant