Our prize winners…

I promised to reveal the grand prizewinners of the quiz prior to Christmas.  Since the quiz resumed following the election, there have been 22 readers who have won the quizzes.  Some of these are grand prizewinners, having won three or more.  Indeed, three have won ten or more and three have won between five and ten.

The grand prizewinners are:

Jonathan (15), Dave H (13), Emmy (12), Len (9), Chris K (7), JH (5), Michael (4), Jason Lower (3), Croft (3), Ulysses (3).

The other winners are: Frank Young, Rob, Robin, Stephen Paterson, David, CM, Anne Marie Cunningham, Martyn Atkins, John Tomlinson, Tini, Frank Wynerth Summers III, Rich, Nick, and FinnishCowl.

Congratulations to all the prize winners, and indeed all readers who have taken part.  As maude elwes recognised in her response to one of the quizzes, the purpose is not only to invite readers to engage but also to provide some information about the House of Lords.

Those who are grand prize winners are invited to tea at the Lords.   Please contact me if you would like to take up your prize.  (I know this is not possible for all, as some are not in the UK.  In that case, I may be able to arrange to despatch an appropriate prize.)  I am also thinking how we may recognise others who have won or contributed to the quizzes.

I wish all our readers a very happy Christmas and a peaceful and successful 2012.

15 comments for “Our prize winners…

1. Frank W. Summers III
    24/12/2011 at 2:12 pm

Lord Norton,
    I personally have decided that if I ever get the third win I will make a distant in time reservation for tea and then go. It will be a good excuse to return to the UK for the first time in 43 or more years. If that happens I will join the many member of my family who have memories more recent than my own year at Soho Parish School. Perhaps others abroad may make the same choice.

2. Michael
    24/12/2011 at 2:57 pm

I am fairly sure that I have only ever won the quiz once myself, so the other three victories which put ‘Michael’ into the list of grand prize winners must have been by a different Michael. That’s the problem of using only a not too rare first name I guess. But if you have access to the email addresses entered for the comments, you could perhaps find out who the old Michael (who had at least 3 prizes) was?

• 26/12/2011 at 11:08 pm

Lord Norton,
      as per Michael’s comment I have won under two names. Once in this last quiz and once earlier: http://lordsoftheblog.net/2009/10/17/quiz-questions-7/
      Given that only one name appears in the list I assume it is credited teice and therefore the real person and not the account is the competitor and thus one win remains which at this rate should occur in January of 2014.

29/12/2011 at 4:03 pm

I shall have to check the e-mails addresses. Hmm, that raises the interesting thought that I may need to check to avoid any impersonators…

• 28th Hywel Dda
          07/01/2012 at 2:14 pm

My next win will be in about 1000 years time, perhaps a little more. viz 945ad.

• Frank W. Summers III
          07/01/2012 at 7:03 pm

Lord Norton,

I had stopped reading the quiz with perfect consistency and may have missed something. Is this entry about the discontinuance of the quiz? If so then of course my remarks become gibberish. I assumed it was continuing indefinitely.

3. Dave H
    24/12/2011 at 3:06 pm

If the blog has a birthday party in 2012 you should try to get as many quiz winners as possible to attend so we can meet the competition.

4. Jason Lower
    24/12/2011 at 5:26 pm

I like Dave H’s suggestion of a big meet-up if anything is done to celebrate the quiz.

Thank you, Lord Norton, for the offer of tea in the Lords and for a fun quiz this year.

Merry Christmas everyone, and a happy new year!

29/12/2011 at 4:05 pm

I agree. I was thinking along somewhat similar lines, with a tea party sometime for our regular contributors.

5. Emmy
    24/12/2011 at 9:15 pm

Merry Christmas, Lord Norton!

29/12/2011 at 4:06 pm

Emmy: I hope you have had a good Christmas. Happy New Year to you and all the readers.

6. Gareth Howell
    26/12/2011 at 8:45 am

“I may try for a warmer day in a few months when there’s nothing controversial being debated and the police presence is at normal levels.”

The winter months are best for Westminster, and the theatre too. You’ll get a warm welcome everywhere in the cold months, even from quiz master.

It is the term when most work is done, not least in parliament.

Police and demos? Nowhere to be seen. Start early! Check the agenda now.

29/12/2011 at 4:07 pm

Gareth Howell: There’s a warm welcome from the quiz master whatever the season…

• Dave H
      29/12/2011 at 4:50 pm

Gareth, you have to put my remark in context – my previous date for tea with the quiz master was on fees demo day in December last year. It was cold, and extremely difficult to get into Parliament that day, including walking from Green Park Station, and on the way out, walking up to Victoria. There was no access to St Stephen’s Entrance due to the riot police in the way, so I got to use Black Rod’s entrance.

I think the debate was scheduled for that day after the visit was arranged.

• Frank W. Summers III
        29/12/2011 at 5:02 pm

Dave H.,

While inactive these days I am longtime freelance writer and paid journalist and really think you owe us all the link to an article titled “How to Dress for Tea at Lords and Slipping through Crowds and Riot Police”. I for one would read the article with real interest.