As Lord Soley asked who was the Prime Minister who was not British-born, I thought I would stick with the theme for this week’s quiz and ask about Prime Ministers in relation to the House of Lords. As usual, the first two readers to supply the correct answers will be the winners, though feel free to have a go at answering even if you do not know the answers to all the questions.
1. Who was the last peer to serve as Prime Minister while sitting in the House of Lords?
2. Who was the last peer to be invited by the monarch to form an administration?
3. Who was the first Scottish-born British Prime Minister? What is the link between his name and meetings of the Cabinet of the Scottish executive?
4. Who was the last Liberal Prime Minister to sit in the House of Lords, never having served in the Commons?
5. Of the twelve post-war Prime Ministers (prior to David Cameron) seven became peers and five did not. Who are the five?