The quiz – it’s back

The quiz is back.   I thought I would modify the format slightly, with a fortnightly quiz.  As before, any reader winning three times will be invited to tea at the Lords.  If an overseas winner wins it three times, and cannot make it to the Lords, I will arrange for some memento of the Lords to be mailed.  As before, the first two readers to supply the correct answers to a quiz will be deemed the winners.

The questions here are designed to provide an opportunity for any reader with some familiarity with the Lords to participate.

1. Name at least three members of the House of Lords who have presented their own television programmes.  Identify the programmes.

2. Name at least three members of the House of Lords who have published novels.

3. Name at least three members of the House of Lords who have sat in the House of Commons as Liberal (i.e. pre-Liberal Democrat) MPs.

All the questions relate to current members.

15 comments for “The quiz – it’s back

1. Chris K
    19/03/2011 at 12:31 pm

Child of Our Time – Lord Winston (who I bump into quite regularly)

George Cross Heroes – Lord Ashcroft

Raw Deal – Baroness Kennedy of The Shaws

2) Lord Winston (A Child Against All Odds (2006))
    Lord Ashcroft (Victoria Cross Heroes)
    Baroness Kennedy of The Shaws (Eve was Framed: Women and British Justice, 1993)

3) Lord Kirkwood of Kirkhope (Roxburgh and Berwickshire)
    Lord Steel of Aikwood (Tweeddale, Ettrick and Lauderdale)
    Lord Ashdown (Yeovil)

2. Chris K
    19/03/2011 at 12:37 pm

Whoops – Q2 should be:

Baroness Rendell of Babergh
    Baroness James of Holland Park
    Lord Dobbs

3. 19/03/2011 at 4:51 pm

1. Lord Winston, numerous including Child of our Time, the Secret Life of Twins, etc.; Lord Bragg, The South Bank Show; Baroness Benjamin, Playschool (perhaps not what you had in mind, but that’s one from my childhood!)

2. Baroness James of Holland Park; Baroness Rendell of Babergh; Lord Archer of Weston-super-Mare

3. Lord Alton of Liverpool; Lord Carlile of Berriew; Lord Wallace of Tankerness

Lord Carlile
    Lord Willis
    Lord Hooson

5. MilesJSD
    milesjsd
    20/03/2011 at 1:45 am

Once more, Lord Norton, it is evident that you need to be told

that the quiz-knowledge you prevailingly present is inward-looking, career and job bound, esoteric, exclusive of the main-needs of democratic Britain;

and if you had used your powers to establish educational-programmes and challenging-quizzes at the three or four main levels of democratic-ability of the said British sovereign voting public, I would whole heartedly support your Lords-of-the-Blog niches of dominance and of ploying with non-creative-thinking quizzes for the oligarchical in-the-know few, up there on high;

as your education-curriculum stands, and stagnates, I dare not support this latest quiz of yours, Lord Norton.
    ============
    0145Sn20Mar11.JSDM.

• Dave H
      20/03/2011 at 8:24 pm

You’re approaching it with the wrong mindset. It’s more of a challenge when it’s obscure and hard to dig up the answers.

A busy weekend here, so I wasn’t around to dive in to get the answers. My calendar is currently clear for two weeks’ time though.

6. Emmy
    20/03/2011 at 8:48 am

I think I’m much too late this time – but, just for fun…

1. Baroness Bakewell (Heart of the Matter, Taboo), Baroness Benjamin (Play School), Lord Winston (The Human Body, Child of our time).
    2. Baroness James of Holland Park, Lord Dobbs, Baroness Cohen of Pimlico.
    3. Lord Alton of Liverpool, Lord Wallace of Tankerness, Lord Tope.

7. maude elwes
    20/03/2011 at 6:08 pm

Like the quiz. Great prize. Too stupid to enter.

• Chris K
      22/03/2011 at 8:24 pm

I don’t believe that! If I know even one of the answers without ‘researching’ on google then I’m doing well. And I’ve lost count of the number I’ve won (I hope Lord Norton’s keeping track).

It helps waking up before lunchtime on a Saturday too.

One of my friends is very keen to visit the Lords before it’s abolished. She may enter next week.

• maude elwes
        23/03/2011 at 4:29 pm

@Chris K:

I humbly apologise to Lord Norton for what appears to be me suggesting the ‘quiz’ was too stupid to enter. I sincerely meant it as ‘I’ am too stupid to enter. I didn’t know the answers was what I was trying to convey. But, as I read it again, yes, it looks as if I meant the quiz was stupid.

Please forgive my incompetence.

I wish this site had the flashing red face because that is what I have.

23/03/2011 at 6:20 pm

maude elwes: I knew what you meant!

23/03/2011 at 6:21 pm

Not, I hasten to add, that I am agreeing with you that you are too stupid to enter. It’s a quiz for everyone; if in doubt, have a guess.

• Chris K
          23/03/2011 at 6:31 pm

I knew what you meant too, Maude. Sorry I suggested to the contrary! I meant “I don’t believe that [you’re too stupid to eneter]”

• maude elwes
            30/03/2011 at 4:15 pm

Thank you for sweet chivalry. How much I appreciate it.

8. Gareth Howell
    21/03/2011 at 6:03 pm

I enjoy it for its mindlessness!
    Press on lord Norton!

If questions one and two were united would it be any more difficult?

There must be a third; ‘n’, in fact who are both.

Number 3; naming 3 is tricky.
    Lord Avebury