The weekly quiz – famous quotes

A number of peers have said things which have entered the dictionaries of quotations.  Baroness Thatcher is an especially good example, primarily when she was Prime Minister (‘You turn if you want to. The lady’s not for turning’, ‘There is no such thing as society’, ‘No, No, No’).  This week’s quiz tests your knowledge of what politicians – presently members of the House of Lords – have said.  As usual, the first two readers to supply the correct answers will be the winners.

Which peers said the following:

1. ‘Like being savaged by a dead sheep.’

2. ‘The time has come for others to consider their own response to the tragic conflict of loyalties with which I have myself wrestled for perhaps too long.’

3. ‘The Conservative Party has never believed that the business of government is the government of business.’

4.’We give the impression of being in office but not in power.’

5.’It contains a misleading impression, not a lie. It was being economical with the truth.’

17 comments for “The weekly quiz – famous quotes

1. Chris K
    26/06/2010 at 11:31 am

1) Denis, now Lord, Healey about Geoffrey, now Lord, Howe.
    2) Geoffrey, Lord Howe. I wonder if he regrets it?
    3) Lord Lawson of Blaby
    4) Lord Lamont
    5) Lord Armstrong, “spycatcher”

I saw a theme until 5.

A couple of quiz questions for you, Lord Norton! Unfortunately I’m asking because I don’t know the answers.

It’s surprising to see one only became a peer after the HoL Act 1999 – is he the first to fall in that category?

Also I see that the Ukip hereditary wasn’t eligible to vote in the election. I would be interested in the justification for it.

• Chris K
      26/06/2010 at 5:56 pm

*one of the newly elected hereditaries

• 27/06/2010 at 3:40 pm

Chris K: you must mean Viscount Younger of Leckie. But there is also Lord de Mauley (succeeded 2002, elected 2005) and the present Lord Aberdare (elected 2007, the previous holder was an elected hereditary until his death in 2005).

• Chris K
          28/06/2010 at 2:58 pm

Thanks Jonathan. I think I used to know that Aberdare fell into that category but forgot. Never knew about de Mauley.

Nice to see they’re using their votes wisely. In many ways a far preferable system to allowing the PM to flood the House with people of his choice.

One of the great ironies of 1998/9 was that hereditaries were being removed on the basis of ‘lack of legitimacy’ and replaced with Tony’s Mates – who had what exactly?

2. 26/06/2010 at 12:26 pm

1. Lord Healey
    2. Lord Howe of Aberavon (his resignation speech?)
    3. Lord Lawson of Blaby
    4. Lord Lamont of Lerwick
    5. Lord Armstrong of Ilminster

I actually prefer Lord Lamont’s next sentence: “Far too many important decisions are made for 36 hours’ publicity.” Sums up every successive administration, really.

3. Emmy

6. 26/06/2010 at 2:37 pm

1. Lord Healey, about
    2. Lord Howe
    3. Nigel Lawson
    4. Norman Lamont
    5. Lord Armstrong of Ilminster

Must admit I had to Google the last one, so I’ll disqualify myself.

• 26/06/2010 at 9:33 pm

Since I receive this Quiz as from a Nation-wide English-Citizenship Schooling Network, under which in some subjects one may be ‘post-PhD level’ but in others perhaps at a ’Prepschool’ level, I shall not disqualify myself.

LN, I am at ‘prepschool- level’; and in this I claim a right (but more basicly an individual-need) to ‘show my workings’ and ‘make some sort of shot at it’.

Q1: “This was said by combative UK Labour politician Dennis (sic) Healey on being criticised by the mild mannered Tory minister Geoffrey Howe in the UK House of Commons in June 1978”. http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/232600.html .

My Lord, I feel already citizenlike-engaged that I had decided to adopt the above position; for most if not all other respondents have fallen short, at the very outset in Question 1:

Donning now my higher-school level Black Risk- thinking & ‘No-no’ hat, I submit that all of the previous answers to this question are in one extent or another below andragogic level for parliamentary-level citizens, my lord:

Chris K:
      If that Lord Healey or(vel) that Lord Howe were dead at the moment CK began writing his answer, then the answer should have been worded
      “Denis (afterwards Lord) Healey about his having been criticised by Geoffrey (afterwards Lord) Howe, in the House of Commons (June 1978)”.

Because dbj13, IanVisits, and Stephen Paterson have each failed to be clear with the name(s) involved (e.g. Dennis Healey is not the name of a Lord, my Lord, the lord’s name would most succinctly and correctly be Lord Healey (?).

Stephen’s answer unfortunately could be read by many as “Lord Healey said that being savaged by a dead sheep was about attacks coming from Lord Howe (no comma) Nigel Lawson Norman Lamont and (&) Lord Armstrong of Ilmonster (no full stop).

‘Googling’ is quite non-cooperatively anti-learning: minus five-marks.

Although Jonathan appears to have answered every question correctly, unforunately his closing paragraph is a red-herring and a huge cover-up, as was his quoted statement by Lord Lamont that
      (‘) Too many important decisions are made for a mere 36-hours publicity (‘).
      The Big truth is that since Parliaments began in Britain they have always been for the shortterm survival and super-profit of the Members, not for the longterm lifesupport, health and prosperity of The People and of our Common Lifesupports such as Topsoils, Forests, Oceans’ marine-biological health, human-race sustain-worthying, individual-human-development, as the Real Challenges facing us and, since ‘we are what we eat’, facing practically all other Life on Earth, my Lords. Minus 9 marks.

So I would give Chris K first place there-among, for attaching some current-affair question; and Emmy the second place for giving the clearest cut answers, but omitting to respect the current tuned-in British (possibly World-of-Peoples) audience by attaching at least a relevant current-affairs question, or answer.
      (jsdm2127St2606).
      Incidentally, were Stephen Paterson and myself the only one’s having to research-out an answer ?

• Emmy
        30/06/2010 at 12:13 pm

Ha ha jsdm, that would be because I am not British!

• jm
          01/07/2010 at 2:43 am

D’accord; culture- and subculture- bound questions and environments should be transparently up-fronted.

Ectually, I am not “British” either; I am ‘pure-English’ !
          {and still having to make efforts to learn that language).

Emmy, I still claim (in the name of my World-of-Peoples) that adding a relevant current-affairs question or answer would be a more united-nations-al peoples’-democracy sign of ‘allegiance’ or at least of world-peoples-inclusive democratic-proactivity ?
          (What-what ?)
          —————–
          jm0243Th0107).

26/06/2010 at 5:38 pm

All too late for the quiz though I can’t help but comment that the Thatcher quote is surely like many famous ‘quotes’ merely a paraphrase. I seem to remember it was actually “they are casting their problems on society and who is society? There is no such thing!”

• Lord Norton
      lordnorton
      28/06/2010 at 11:57 am

Croft: According to my source material, Margaret Thatcher said, in an interview published in ‘Woman’s Own’ on 31 October 1987: ‘There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families.’ However, I should add that, not being a reader of the said magazine, I have not seen a copy of the article.

8. Lord Blagger
    26/06/2010 at 6:08 pm

There we go. Healey maligning my neighbour

9. Lord Norton
    lordnorton
    27/06/2010 at 5:10 pm

It would seem superfluous to repeat the answers as everyone who contributed provided the correct answers. Congratulations to Chris K and Jonathan – this week’s winners – with Jonathan just pipping Emmy at the post by five minutes.

Chris K: There is more than one common theme in respect of the first four answers – in addition to each of the four peers having served as Chancellor of the Exchequer, each of the quotations is taken from speeches in the House of Commons. The fifth question not only relates to someone who did not serve as Chancellor but who used the words outside Parliament (necessarily so, since he was not then a parliamentarian).

On your particular query, Jonathan has got in ahead of me with the answer. Lord Younger is the second Conservative elected hereditary who has not previously been in the House and Lord Aberdare the first elected hereditary who has not previously been in the House.