The weekend quiz

lords-questions-300x150Just one question this week, principally because I think it is an extremely difficult one.  However, on past performance I may well be proved wrong.  The first two readers to get it correct will be prize winners.

Peers variously list their recreations and many are the sort of thing you may expect – music, opera, gardening and the like.  However, one peer lists his recreation as “A 1939 Bentley”.  Who is he?

If  it helps much (which it may not!) he is a member of the relevant organisation you may expect given his interest.

Good luck.

8 comments for “The weekend quiz

1. Chris K
    29/08/2009 at 12:21 am

Lord Montagu

I’m not hopeful!

2. Robert Doyle
    29/08/2009 at 12:54 am

The only peer I have seen at the wheel of a Bentley is Robert Winston.

3. 29/08/2009 at 12:55 am

Lord Cope of Berkeley

4. 29/08/2009 at 1:12 am

I’ll have a stab here (not literally!) at Lord Montagu of Beaulieu. If I’m right, here is m’ludship’s pride and joy being unloaded in New South Wales on April 3, 1978:

5. 29/08/2009 at 1:39 am

There again, if I’m wrong, tell whoever it is that they’re obviously ten a penny and to get himself something decent.

29/08/2009 at 10:14 am

I can only think of a few present members who are likely suspects. Lord Montagu of Beaulieu, Lord Drayson and Earl Howe. As you thought the answer was hard then the first seems too obvious to be right, I thought Drayson was more into jaguars – Lord Howe’s father and/or grandfather raced bentley’s so I’ll punt for him.

7. 29/08/2009 at 1:18 pm

Actually, following that link a little, that turns out to be one of four photos of the occasion. I wonder if Lord M knows of his family snaps being on the web? Wonderful thing the net, but a little frightening at times:

30/08/2009 at 8:59 am

Some very inspired answers this week. Quite understandably, Lord Montagu was the most popular, albeit not the correct, choice. Robert Doyle and Croft also came up with some inspired suggestions. However, the correct answer is Lord Cope of Berkeley. He is the only peer who lists as his (sole) recreation a 1939 Bentley. So we have one winner this week – Jonathan. Congratulations to him. I thought it was a very difficult question, so I am very impressed that we do have a winner. Jonathan is clearly on a roll.