A supplementary question

47612In this week’s quiz, I asked respondents to identify three women peers presently in the House who have served as Cabinet ministers in the House of Commons.  Seven readers – Michael, stephenpaterson, Croft, Len, Jonathan, AJackson and Steph – responded, each correctly identifying three women peers (such as Baronesses Bottomley, Thatcher and Williams of Crosby) who have served as Cabinet ministers in the Commons.

Not surprisingly, there was considerable overlap in the answers.  Between them, the readers identified a total of five female peers.  Given that there are only six women in the House who have served as Cabinet ministers in the Commons, there is thus one missing.  Have a look at the answers to the question in the preceding post for the five names identified.

Who is the one female peer missing from the list who has served as a Cabinet minister while an MP?

9 comments for “A supplementary question

1. 04/07/2009 at 6:53 pm
    04/07/2009 at 7:03 pm

stephenpaterson: I’m afraid not. Lynda Chalker was (the long-serving) Minister for Overseas Development, but outside the Cabinet.

3. Michael
    04/07/2009 at 7:16 pm

Baroness Taylor of Bolton?

4. 04/07/2009 at 7:23 pm

I know Emma Nicholson was once a vice-chairman of the Conservative Party – was she also in the cabinet?

5. 04/07/2009 at 7:37 pm

Humph…trouble with the Ladies, of course, is that they have an annoying habit of assuming married names. Also, the House of Commons ladies have learnt so well the benefit of keeping their feet well and truley on the ground that it’s sometimes a little difficult for us mere mortals to know they’ve been elevated.

I’m never quite sure who’s in the cabinet + who isn’t, and then there’s complications like inner cabinets and things.

Anyway, I’ve scanned down the list and checked through the Noble Ladies who’s names ring big bells as MPs and pulled three names out, and I think I’ll plump for Baroness Ann Taylor of Bolton, who was Government Chief Whip

I also found myself clicking on these two:

6. howridiculous
    04/07/2009 at 8:46 pm

Dear Lord Norton,

Is it Baroness Taylor of Bolton who as Ann Taylor was Leader of the House of Commons (1997-98) and Government Chief Whip (1998-2001)?

Howridiculous.

7. Matthew Mee
    04/07/2009 at 9:27 pm

How about Ann Taylor?

8. 04/07/2009 at 9:39 pm

Baroness Taylor of Bolton – was Leader of the House and Lord President of the Council?

05/07/2009 at 12:40 am

Well done to everyone who has identified Baroness Taylor of Bolton. As Ann Taylor, she was – as howridiculous notes – Leader of the House of Commons 1997-98 and Government Chief Whip from 1998-2001.

Congratulations to Michael who again got in first with the correct answer – very impressive. Commendations to stephenpaterson (another double winner),howridiculous, Matthew Mee, and Jonathan (also a double winner) for so quickly identifying the peer in question.

Frank H. Little: You are correct in your recollection, though Emma Nicholson never made it to ministerial office.

I am impressed by the responses to this week’s questions. As I have indicated in a response to Baroness Murphy’s post, I am contemplating offering a prize – possibly tea at the Lords – for quiz winners. I think I should offer it to anyone who wins three or more of the weekly quizzes. So starting next week….