Quiz of the week

victoria-tower-1-003

For this week’s quiz questions, I thought I would combine what I think is any easy question with a less easy one.  Readers are welcome to provide the answer to one even if they do not know the other.

Peer 1

I am a famous award-winning film producer.

I have a strong commitment to raising educational standards.

Who am I?

Peer 2

I started my career as a university tutor.

I then became a preacher.

I have a doctorate in ecclesiastical and constitutional law.

Who am I?

10 comments for “Quiz of the week

1. Tory Boy
    28/02/2009 at 4:49 pm

Peer One Lord Attenborough
    Peer Two Lord Jordon

28/02/2009 at 5:06 pm

1) Lord Puttnam

2) It would be too easy if (s)he were a priest so a lay preacher. I’ll think as I make a casserole.

3. 28/02/2009 at 5:08 pm

Peer 1 : Lord Attenborough

4. 28/02/2009 at 7:05 pm

Aaarrrrggghhh!

Could Peer 2 possibly be Lord Eames?

Steph x

28/02/2009 at 7:18 pm

Another week with the honours being shared between two. Croft wins the prize for the correct answer to the first question. Though Lord Attenborough has an interest in education, it is Lord Puttnam who has been to the fore, championing education through a number of routes. He is best known for his role as a film producer, producing Chariots of Fire, Midnight Express, and The Killing Fields, among others. However, he is also a leading figure in the education field, to which he now devotes most of his time. He served on the Government’s Education Standards Task Force, he chaired the National Edowment for Science, Technology and Arts as well as the General Teaching Council, and chairs the Teaching Awards Trust.

Steph wins the prize for getting the answer to the second question. Lord Eames was a scholar and tutor in the Law Faculty at Queen’s University, Belfast, before becoming curate assistant at Bangor Parish Church. He went on to become a Bishop and then Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland (1986-2006). He was elevated to the Peerage in 1995.

01/03/2009 at 10:38 am

Rats! I thought of Lord Eames and even looked him up on wiki. But the entry there didn’t mention he was a tutor so I thought I was barking up the wrong tree and went looking for someone else. That’s just infuriating.

02/03/2009 at 5:10 pm

Croft: I hope you draw certain lessons from your experience!

03/03/2009 at 4:46 pm

Yes, I need to beg, borrow or steal a copy of Dods. I think my DNB is so Churchill is still in it!

(Is the Lords of the Blog hamster ok. I’m assuming the 503 errors were the poor chap falling off the wheel he uses to power the server. Matt must be giving him CPR as I write 🙂 )

9. Matt Korris
    05/03/2009 at 5:32 pm

Croft,

Sorry I missed your post till now. Despite working at the Hansard Society, I’m not actually responsible for running of Lords of the Blog. We do have a crack team of hamsters working on it though – they’re often too busy to comment, what with keeping the wheels spinning 🙂

I read and post here because I enjoy the subject matter, and occasionally it’s also been useful for my work. I quoted a post by Baroness Murphy in a book published last year and it was very helpful when Lord Norton gave us the heads-up about the debate in the Lords on communicating with the public, as we put together a briefing for peers on the Hansard Society’s position.

I felt I ought to sign my name as it would be a bit disingenuous to comment anonymously on here!

Matt Korris