Who am I?

22831-2-lord-norton.jpg Some of those who have commented on our posts have asked to know more about us as individuals. Some of my colleagues are infinitely more interesting than I am. For anyone who is vaguely interested, I thought I would try to list ten things about me, so here goes.

1. Academic.

2. Total politics anorak (see comments under ‘Who’s Who in the Lords’).

3. Tory (always have been).

4. Methodist (and teetotal with it).

5. Fundamental belief in the dignity of the individual.

6. Recognise that people are different and should as far as possible be left to decide for themselves how to live their lives.

7. Tend to see the best in people.

8. Love trains (great for travel, do masses of work), hate planes.

9. Basic philosophical belief in maintaining a divide between public and private spheres (without the private, the state is all powerful).

10. Er, that’s it – see 9 above.

10 comments for “Who am I?

1. Stuart
    03/04/2008 at 6:56 pm

Sounds good. I’d vote for you.

2. 03/04/2008 at 7:36 pm

I like your comments about yourself. I think anything direct and honest is interesting compared with a similar list by someone who is striving for effect and “trying” to be interesting. However, on point 8, is it possible for a powerful Lord to do something about these awful constant announcements that train passengers are subjected to these days? I travel by train twice a day to work (on Network South East) and it does drive me mad. I like peace and quiet on the train to read, do the crossword or just look out of the window to think.

03/04/2008 at 8:43 pm

Do you play ping pong with the opposition?

04/04/2008 at 4:20 pm

Thanks for the comments. Maxine: I sympathise. I do, though, like the tannoy announcements on trains when they drown out the passengers who are on their mobiles telling people they are on the train or busy discussing business (or personal matters) at the top of their voices. The problem for train companies is that, if they don’t make announcements (stations, safety etc) they may be vulnerable if someone misses a stop or suffers an injury, and if they do make frequent announcements they can be irritating. I do, though, favour an extension of quiet coaches with stronger enforcement. One possibility might be a quiet coach with no mobiles, tannoy announcements etc. permitted.

Senex: Though I don’t get much opportunity to play, I am a member of the All-Party Table Tennis Group. (We have all-party groups covering almost everything!) As the name suggests, it draws members from different parties (in both Houses), and includes a former Chancellor of the Exchequer. We don’t play on a party basis, but we have given though to a Lords v. Commons match for charity. On the basis of limited observation, the best players are Tory peers.

5. ladytizzy
    04/04/2008 at 6:06 pm

To coin a phrase, that’s more than enough info on Table Tennis…

How much does your religion or choice of party play a part in your decisions as a parliamentarian?
    Do you believe either makes a difference when comparing your current position with an elected officer?
    Are your answers to the above typical of your fellow Peers?
    Does your 10th item prove you read Private Eye?

Thanks, Tiz

04/04/2008 at 6:41 pm

My religion informs how I conduct my own life; it doesn’t determine how I vote on issues affecting how other people lead their lives. (For that, see my other comments.) I speak only for myself. I am not sure I am typical of my fellow peers but then again not sure I am untypical: we are a fairly mixed bunch, and benefit from that variety.

I am not a regular reader of ‘Private Eye’. I am, though, regularly to be found behind ‘The Times’.

04/04/2008 at 7:08 pm

The Times you say…

Have you tried the blog feed from Redbox?

8. Bedd Gelert
    07/04/2008 at 10:10 am

Slightly surprised that you are a Tory academic – I would have thought that was a rarity, or perhaps I am just stereotyping. Perhaps you could ‘tell us something about yourself that no one else knows’. I’ve been on so many ‘team bonding’ exercises in my time that I’ve run out of things ‘that no one else knows..’ so do be careful.

Perhaps you could tell us whether you could beat Lord Levy at table tennis, but I gather he is a bit of an expert in this arena.

Good to see that you are getting some free publicity from today’s Guardian as well..

07/04/2008 at 8:55 pm

There are certainly other Tory academics. I’m not a great fan of team bonding ‘tell us what no one knows about you’ exercises and engaging in personal navel gazing. I’ll probably do a separate post on this. There’s also the pedantic point that it’s sometimes difficult to know what ‘no one else knows’ about you. If one’s close friends know, then presumably it doesn’t qualify!

I know Lord Levy is a table-tennis player, but I haven’t seen him play competitively.

I have now seen the Guardian’s coverage of the blog. Not sure it’s advisable for anyone to invite me to write even more about myself!