Eminent Parliamentarians

Last year, in order to mark the centenary of the passage of the Parliament Act 1911, the Speaker of the House of Commons, John Bercow, organised a series of lectures on great parliamentarians.  Each was delivered by a parliamentarian and broadcast by BBC Parliament.  I gave the lecture on Enoch Powell.   At the end of the series, I was invited to edit the lectures for publication.   The result is Eminent Parliamentarians, being published by Biteback Publishing on 15 October.

The line up of contributors is:

Kenneth Morgan on DAVID LLOYD GEORGE
Sir Peter Tapsell on F. E. SMITH
Shirley Williams on NANCY ASTOR
Nicholas Soames on SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL
Gordon Marsden on ANEURIN BEVAN
Neil Kinnock on MICHAEL FOOT
Philip Norton on ENOCH POWELL
Douglas Hurd on IAIN MACLEOD
Andrew Adonis on ROY JENKINS
John Whittingdale on MARGARET THATCHER
Tristram Hunt on TONY BENN

The publishers have done an excellent job in producing a fine volume.  I know some readers  enjoyed watching some or all of the lectures.  There is now an opportunity to obtain a permanent record.  The book is published in good time for Christmas!  I may even offer a copy as a prize for one of the quizzes….

7 comments for “Eminent Parliamentarians

1. Twm O'r Nant
    06/10/2012 at 9:09 am

An interesting list, making me wonder how many knew their subjects personally during life.
    The first three probably not.
    I’m not sure that Nicholas Soames knew his grandfather,and certainly not Kenneth Morgan, Lloyd George. The MP Ms Sandys might equally well have written about her grandfather although…..

It is beginning to look like a political read!

08/10/2012 at 10:12 pm

Twm O’r Nant: Indeed, if you read the book you will find these questions answered – including the occasion when the young Nicholas Soames wandered into his grandfather’s bedroom.

2. 06/10/2012 at 7:57 pm

Lord Norton,

I look forward getting a copy eventually. Perhaps I will try to make sure I compete in that quiz before making other arrangements…

08/10/2012 at 10:13 pm

Frank Wynerth Summers III: I am sure if you order it now you wil find it soon winging its way over the Atlantic. It may prove useful since you have given me an idea, namely to use it as the basis for one of the quizzes!

• 09/10/2012 at 12:37 am

Lord Norton,

As a former purveyor of books I will say you have mangaged a very suitable ripost to the logical challenge implicity in my comment. Now the incentive is to buy the book not refrain from buying it. Whatever I may in fact do I salute the maneuver…

3. MilesJSD
    07/10/2012 at 6:33 pm

Maybe these were ’eminent’ in their now-long-since-past historical-time,
    but they, and their kind, were each drawing (and being awarded by Establishmentarian Others) many more human-livings than one, from the Common Purse and from the Common Lifesupports-Environment;
    so they were none of them “Lifeplace Exemplary”;
    only ‘headlined’ from their walled-off Workplace as being better-than-their-nearest up-and-fit-to-fight competitors.

———–
    What we today (and tomorrow and tomorrow) need

is lists of those British citizens and legitimate residents who are living longterm healthily, citizenlike and environment-supportively, in the Lifeplace,
    off just one-human-living (= £300 per week, say);
    and we need that public list to be topped with the biographies and autobiographies of those few (thousands ? hundreds ?) who are successfully living within that one-human-living standard AND doing so leaderfully,

namely both transparently and emulably by The People genericly.
    ————-
    How would People and Peers answer to that, if we now do have a truly participative-democracy ?

08/10/2012 at 12:52 pm

Yes! But is it available in ePub format and if not why not?