Olympic Games

Lord Soley

I am not a great sports watcher so I wasn’t planning on watching the Olympic ceremony but I decided to watch the beginning – and then I just couldn’t turn the TV off! I think Danny Boyle and his team plus all the volunteers were superb.
Humour – Mr Bean and the wonderful James Bond scene with the Queen. History – a brilliant choice of the industrial revolution as an example of the impact Britain has made on the world. Quirky and eccentric – yes and that is really rather British. Artistic – the music groups and the stunning bicycles with the translucent blue wings.
I’m going to watch it again!

6 comments for “Olympic Games

1. 31/07/2012 at 4:49 am

Very impressive…

• 01/08/2012 at 8:10 pm

Congratulations to the women’s rowing team that won Great Britain’s first gold medal of the 2012 Games and in a sport with great tradition. Prince Harry watching and all the rest made a fitting start. I trust others will follow soon…

2. Twm O'r Nant
    31/07/2012 at 11:41 am

I have watched about the last 6 Olympic games from cover to cover, and I decided not to follow these at all on account of hype, and not…… having a Television!

I’ve even done a little bit of stringing with Steve Cram on occasion, a brilliant presenter, if there was ever one.

I may not even be lured by iplayer … but I might toward the end.

My neice, who may be about 6’6″, when she stops growing, may be interested in the high jump or the long one, but she may also not be physically competitive, more in the realm of the intellect.

3. maude elwes
    31/07/2012 at 3:52 pm

I saw the opening performance as clips after the event and was surprised.

Danny Boyle is a clever boy. Politically correct, yes, but, this is what we are and he showed it so cleverly. It was a masterpiece. He got in every inch of it. (My goodness how our countries talent is stultified) Even down to the Queen’s little skit. I loved it when she kept the stiff in the dinner suit waiting too long. Like the idiot, Boris, it had me well up with delight.

The rest is yet to come. And at this juncture I will write no more. Those out there strutting their stuff have worked hard and cried hard and deserve citics stay shut until the whole spectrum of what we have put on comes to roost.

Beijing eat your heart out!

4. Gareth Howell
    01/08/2012 at 12:20 pm

Did I see a serious suggestion that the Olympic Games should be held in the SAME place every four years, to preclude/pr-empt this ridiculous campaigning, and profligate waste of money on new premises every four years?

It would seem more sensible, and where to hold them?

Alternatively, to choose the four best Olympic sites of the past thirty years and rotate around them every 16 years, or even the best two and change every 8.

5. MilesJSD
    02/08/2012 at 2:48 pm

Hold the Olympic Games more securely and educationally
    and less costly and couchj-potatoedly

every year

in the same place
    namely Greece:

thus minimising Security and Other Pool-able Costs

whilst maximising the effectivenesses of such Security and OPC’s.
    ———-
    Furthermore causing both the Athletic and Training Communities of The World to keep themselves up-to-date

and thus to keep Us-The-Rest-of-the-World at least annually “on our toes”
    upright watchfull postured on the “front edge of our seats”

thus helping our athletic/aesthetic appreciations,
    individually-healthy-and-improvable body postures,
    and our optimum self-motilities;

And ever-improving the governance and management skills of Executives;
    ever-sharpening the technological-brilliances of the Media all around the World;

and establishing both Lifeplace-Fair-Egalitarianism throughout the Spectator-Body;
    and Athleticsplace-Fair-&-Friendly-Sporting Competiveness throughout Workplace-Bodies.