Fake letters from Number 10

Baroness Murphy

I was astonished to discover that correspondence from 10 Downing Street officials has been signed with fake names.  David Cameron has now said the practice will stop but how extraordinary to do it in the first place. The use of false names on letters from No 10 began in 2005 in response “to a security threat”. Why on earth didn’t they just say ‘from the team in the Prime Minister’s private office’, rather than create such a nonsense? Surely someone could have guessed that someone would see through such a hoodwink, as Sir Gerald Kauffman has now done. I wanted to contact a signatory in the private office of a Home Office minister a couple of weeks ago to query a response. I’m glad it turned out to be a real live person rather than ‘a computer-generated pseudonym’.

All I keep thinking is ‘what else are they pulling the wool over our eyes about?’ Truly this is an example of security bananas.

Sorry to have done 3 blogs in one week, it’s like waiting for the Number 9…..

8 comments for “Fake letters from Number 10

1. 17/05/2011 at 1:44 pm

I do have some sympathy with staff in No. 10. It’s so easy to find people now, particularly with the internet.

What I found ridiculous, though, was that they were generating random pseudonyms for each letter. Surely a better system would be for each team member to adopt a name at work that they were always known by, but that didn’t exist outside?

Don’t worry about the volume of blog posts, they are welcome, and you’ve a long way to go to catch up with Lord N!

2. Lord Soley
    Lord Soley
    17/05/2011 at 5:43 pm

Do you think my letter from No 10 signed by a certain David Cameron is a random pseudonym?

• Dave H
      17/05/2011 at 6:17 pm

You’re lucky – I got one from No.10 in 2009 signed by someone called Smith.

I did once work for a small company where the tech support contact was a made-up name because everyone took turns at answering the support phone line and it was convenient.

• Gareth Howell
      17/05/2011 at 6:42 pm

If you keep up to date with the parliamentary hand book, which is quarterly don’t they put real names , and even phone numbers,in there?

3. maude elwes
    17/05/2011 at 7:40 pm

Fake names from fake government. That is the only assumption you can seriously make.

4. MilesJSD
    milesjsd
    17/05/2011 at 8:02 pm

I have twice had letters of acknowledgement from No. 10 signed

J. Miles.
    ————–
    I also happen to be single, but am voluntary unpaid part-trained advocate and carer to a Ms. A. Miles who lives a mile away, but whose correspondence I help with, such that we each happened to send a similar letter to No. 10 at about the same time;

but No. 10 made only one reply, to my single bedsit-flat, addressed to

Mr and Mrs John S.D. Miles.
    —————-
    This very seriously worries us now, there being no euthanasia allowed in UK and us being likewise coincidentally octogenarian living close to Derriford Hospital where very recently, reportedly by newspaper front pages, a similarly ageing male was scurrilously neglected-or-wrongly-treated-to-death, and the ‘manslaughter’ almost-successfully covered-up …
    well, I don’t know …

but it looks as if No. 10 is in league, and wants to get rid of one or both of us Mileses, or to stir us into one-hash-mash-three-legged-race,
    along with their now ‘blown’ cover process of stealing and usurping the individually-loyal-citizen’s identity, doesn’t it ?

1801T170511.JSDM.

5. Twm O'r Nantl
    18/05/2011 at 2:14 pm

Sorry to have done 3 blogs in one week, it’s like waiting for the Number 9…..

or the 27 to Hammersmith to Visit Alfred (BHDS).

As long as you don’t get your pocket picked as I did on the Dorset 387 this week! Bless ‘im the poor, poor beggar!

• MilesJSD
      milesjsd
      22/05/2011 at 6:26 pm

Perhaps you are too much exposed to The Public, Twm;

might have to do more taxiing;

and trust in my added-prayer that that poor, poor beggar! will be the lucky-duck to be given the job and duty of cleaning-away your thus increased carbon-footprint;
      signing as T.O. Nantl, perhaps