New blogger

Baroness Grey-Thompson

It is a great pleasure to be joining Lords of the Blogs and to give my view of the workings of the House of Lords.  I am finding my way around the building, and the miles of corridors, and also learning the protocol and procedures, which being a perfectionist, I want to get right.  The first few months have been tough, but also rewarding. It is a huge privilege to be here.  I have been lost several times, and once so far, had to sprint from one end of the House to the other, in order to get to the Chamber for a Division.

I have now spoken in a couple of debates, but still feel that I am finding my way.  My most recent contribution was in the debate on the 21st October about Education : Special Educational Needs  – (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201011/ldhansrd/text/101021-0002.htm) – go to 3.48pm to read my contribution.  Baroness Warnock featured heavily in it, which was a huge personal delight to me.  I have often talked about the Warnock Report, which my parents used to get me in to mainstream education, and that in turn had a profound effect on my life.  Today, I bumped in to the Baroness Warnock in the corridor, and was able to say thank  you.  To be honest I didn’t say a lot more than that, and there was a part of me that returned to being 11 years old, but without that report, I don’t feel that I would have had the opportunity to do many things in my life.  I feel that I have come full circle.

Anyway I am off now…. I try a few nights every week to read / re-read a couple of pages of the ‘Companion to the Standing Orders’ – it is our manual.  It is fascinating, and it comforts me that every week I get to know it a little better

9 comments for “New blogger

1. ladytizzy
    03/11/2010 at 9:33 pm

OMG! Tanni!

(Eaglescliffe and all that…)

2. Gareth Howell
    04/11/2010 at 8:18 am

Whatever floats your boat!

3. Carl.H
    04/11/2010 at 1:42 pm

Welcome to the blog, my Lady. It`s good to see someone somewhat younger than our regulars.
    🙂

4. Paul
    04/11/2010 at 2:32 pm

I think it’s fantastic that you are now in the Lords.

5. Gareth Howell
    04/11/2010 at 6:05 pm

The good Lady will doubtless continue with her campaigns and causes as she has done for many years.

I have always thought that joining a club for agéd people to be a particularly onerous task more suited, in this instance, to a psychogeriatric nurse than an athlete.

May the stifling atmosphere of age not thwart your worthy sporting causes, noble baroness.

04/11/2010 at 7:24 pm

Welcome to the blog! At 41 you will be one of the younger members of the house. Wrap up well late night sessions can be a bit chilly.

7. baronessmurphy
    05/11/2010 at 9:00 am

Carl H, is that an ageist remark?

8. Carl.H
    05/11/2010 at 11:36 am

My noble Baroness Murphy, one can remark on a wine being younger or older but it is of personal preference which one would choose.

Ageist? Never, merely an elderly remark !

😉

05/11/2010 at 11:48 am

BGT: There are many in the house with a close personal association with what you have to say and dare I say most other people have some sort of association too.

I remember a chap I worked with in the 80’s. His only problem was that he had appallingly bad very shaky hand writing and a slightly awkward gait. This labelled him and set him apart from others. In all other respects he was spot on and I valued greatly both his company and his work. I often wondered how he got by filling in job application forms, clearly somebody with understanding gave him a break and really that is all that is needed; somebody to cut you some slack.

In talking about this I got the impression that you were concerning yourself with adults but may I suggest that it is children that are the cruellest of all in separating out those that are different. Snide remarks, bullying, being made fun of, the world of children is one that anybody with SEN is glad to move on from.

What I find unbearable is that any child should come to realise that they are different at such an early age; to realise that the world can be very harsh and cruel when most of us only come to realise this as adults in later life.

If children will show no compassion in the playground then adults with their fully developed higher reasoning must give back what was taken away. However, the scars run deep in some people that have through no fault of their own become victims – I fear it has always been so, and always will be.