Meet the bloggers…

Hansard Society

When Lords of the Blog began in March 2008, the project was unique, innovative and challenging for both the blogging Peers and the House of Lords. We hope that this is still very much the case! We have had some fascinating and sometimes heated debates, on subjects as varied as prostitution, home education and, of course, House of Lords reform.

As some of our most loyal contributors to the blog might have realised, Lords of the Blog is coming up to its third anniversary. We think this is cause for celebration, as well as reflection on the future direction of the Blog, and we’d like to invite you to an event in the House of Lords. We will have Paul Waugh, Editor of Politics Home, giving us his thoughts on the political blogging landscape, as well as some of your favourite bloggers sharing their thoughts and experiences of the blog over the past three years.

This event will be an opportunity for you to give us your thoughts on where the blog should be going in the future and any improvements or changes you’d like to see. You’ll also get the opportunity to meet with a number of the bloggers face-to-face…

We have got space for 20 audience members to attend the event – if you’d like to come along please email hans_admin@hansard.lse.ac.uk with your full name and email address – we will then send confirmation details including when and where the event will take place. Registrations will be accepted until 5pm Wednesday 9 March. Spaces will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis.

19 comments for “Meet the bloggers…

1. MilesJSD
    milesjsd
    23/02/2011 at 3:32 pm

Really good idea; I would like to be an established ‘people-upwards-democratic=citizen’ already; and that is not because of sour-grapes I can not even apply to be one of your forthcoming twenty exemplary bloggers there, this time; nor because I undervalue the Lords-of-the-Blog e-site.

It is possibly that I think such democratic and political e-siting should long ago have become more ‘egalitarian’, discussional, people-upwards constructive; with Method III, and non-political Clarity, Charity, and Self-Correctibility as its main practical-communicativity and clean-argumentation foundation and principles.
    JSDM.1532W23Feb.

2. Matthew
    23/02/2011 at 3:44 pm

I’m surely missing something, but you don’t appear to have said /when/ this event will take place…

• Hansard Society
      Beccy Allen
      23/02/2011 at 4:11 pm

Matthew, we’re just asking people to email us first if they’re interested in coming and then all the details will be sent to them.
      Thanks
      Beccy

• 23/02/2011 at 7:15 pm

I’m very happy about such an event taking place, but not knowing when it is, even roughly, really puts me off trying to register for it as travelling from Glasgow to London for a single even isn’t exactly a small inconvenience and I wouldn’t like to claim a space and then be rude and turn it down if it doesn’t suit me.

It’s not about deciding whether the effort is worth it, it’s about whether I can give enough commitment to attending to feel I can take a space ahead of someone else.

3. Hansard Society
    Beccy Allen
    24/02/2011 at 9:47 am

Chris sorry perhaps I’ve not made it clear. You email with your interest in coming we will tell you then the time and date. If you can make it we will send an invite.
    Beccy

4. Maude Elwes
    24/02/2011 at 12:35 pm

This is a great idea. Who is the genius who planned this? Should be a wonderful eye opener for all who attend and likewise, those who run the show. What good thinking. Open the place up to those who remain unknown to us as people.

Sadly, I cannot make it.

However, I would like to take advantage of this thread and this opportunity to plug the benefits of the proposed ‘Robin Hood Tax.’ It is a great idea, as long as it is protected from pillage by government and others who will want to get their hands on the cash as their mouths water from the prospect. No draining it for nonsense like, political election funds, and other non social benefit activities.

That aside, if handled as it should be, it would be good for the kudos of government, help remove the nasty party picture. And it would be good for the people who pay you all to do the job you do for us. It would also be good for ‘all’ of you as indirect spin offs come from this kind of thinking. We need this money to work for the benefit of all our people, poor, disabled, elderly and so on. However, its main objective has to be for the benefit of the UK public first. They have been robbed repeatedly and the time is now to give them a break. Then Europe second and the rest of the world last.

Listen to Bill Nighy explain here.

And thank you for the open invite, I, for one, really appreciate it on a personal level.

• Hansard Society
      Beccy Allen
      24/02/2011 at 5:29 pm

Thanks Maude glad you approve!

• maude elwes
        25/02/2011 at 12:56 pm

My pleasure…. Well done Becky.

24/02/2011 at 12:49 pm

Beccy has to wear sun glasses because she is surrounded by enlightenment.

“Beccy is Researcher and Project Manager for the Citizenship Education and Digital Democracy programmes and has been at the Hansard Society since 2006, previously working in the role of Events and Communications Coordinator. She currently manages the HeadsUp website and carries out research on projects to engage the electorate with politics through new technology.

Before working for the Hansard Society, Beccy interned in Parliament with a Liberal Democrat MP where she wrote press releases and briefings, responded to constituents’ concerns about policy and updated the website. Previous to this, Beccy worked evening shifts at the Liberal Democrat call centre and interned with the Social Market Foundation, a social policy think tank. She graduated from Sheffield University in 2005 with a Bachelors and a Masters degree in politics.”

And of course we must not forget the vice chair of Hansard Lord Tyler and Member of Council and Director of Studies, Lord Norton.

Can the anonymous apply? Perhaps not! The offer I presume is open to the blog’s non contributing readership?

Ref: Beccy Allen – Researcher and Project Manager

• Hansard Society
      Beccy Allen
      24/02/2011 at 5:33 pm

I tried to get rid of the sunglasses pic but it obviously didn’t work! Those who just read the blog and haven’t yet commented are welcome to come to the event…

• Carl.H
        24/02/2011 at 7:29 pm

While logged into wordpress, go to http://en.gravatar.com/ and then click on “my account” at the top and then on “add an image” and you can change your gravatar there.

• Hansard Society
          Beccy Allen
          25/02/2011 at 9:58 am

Thanks Carl H The pic seems to be a bit of a talking point though so maybe I won’t…!

• Matt Korris
            25/02/2011 at 10:05 am

At the rate we’re going people are going to be more interested in meeting you than meeting the bloggers.

If it will encourage people to sign up, I’ll make sure Beccy brings her sunglasses to the event.

Matt.

6. baronessmurphy
    24/02/2011 at 5:42 pm

C’mon Senex, I’ll be there and I’d love to meet you. I’d like to say you could put a bag over your head but of course the security folk might not allow it. But perhaps Beccy would lend you her sunglasses.

• Senex
      25/02/2011 at 1:05 pm

Ah! The lure of celebrity; perhaps others feel like you but would they shake my hand or give me a Glasgow kiss? The establishment is a fickle intangible.

7. ZAROVE
    24/02/2011 at 7:21 pm

I’d love to come. it’d give me an excuse to visit the Mother county again after living tin the Colonies for too long. But as with Chris Nicolson, I don’t know if I can. This is especially True of a trip from Tennessee, which is a mite farther than Glasgaw.

Still, Ill mail in.

8. Carl.H
    25/02/2011 at 11:16 am

It would be rude of me not to address this, I have avoided it long enough. It is sheer frustration at knowing this once in a lifetime opportunity will not be happening for me this time around. It really should not be missed, a chance to really get a relationship between Parliament and the people going.

I dislike people who make excuses “I’d love to but…” and all too often I find myself in that position, this is one of those. The problem for me lays with how much do I explain my mitigation for not attempting attendance. Minimum explanation is possibly the best course. I am a longstanding agorophobic-not a rational explanation at all really.

If any of you have the chance to attend please do, no excuses, it really should not be missed.

9. Lord Soley
    Clive Soley
    25/02/2011 at 5:20 pm

So Beccy has given me an idea. We Lordly bloggers all turn up wearing Beccy look alike sun glasses. The first person to spot the real Beccy gets a reward – and, Senex, it’s NOT a Glasgow kiss!

10. ZAROVE
    05/03/2011 at 8:23 pm

I did email.

Not that anyone of the Lords is likely to want me there anyway, as Im not really the Liberal sort and am Traditional. Still, I don’t but and Emails pretty easy to avoid harm, so why not reply?